Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thought I'd Share...

I thought I'd share this wonderful recipe with ya'll. This has always been one of mine and Josh's favorite recipes, but I have a whole new appreciation for it since I have discovered that I can make it (pretty much) fit into our current detox plan. It certainly would make a perfect dinner for a snowy cold night such as this! --

Aunt Vickie's Turkey Chili
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. lean ground turkey breast
1 package (1 oz.) reduced-sodium taco seasoning - (I use the McCormick brand because it is the closest to being all natural)
1 cup corn - (I usually put this in, but for our detox month I omitted it)
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained - (Kroger and Whole Foods have a nice variety of organic beans, which I have been using while we've been doing our detox)
1 can (15 oz) northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (16 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cans (14.5 oz each) tomatoes with green chiles, with juice

Warm the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil's hot, add the turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add the taco seasoning and stir until the meat is well coated. Rinse and drain the beans. (Putting them all in a colander to rinse and drain works really well!) Combine all ingredients in large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.

Makes 8 servings. 267 calories per serving.

ENJOY! :)

1 comment: