Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Past Week or So

I've completely fallen off the blogging wagon - I think I am still trying to make up in my own mind what exactly my blog is for. Is it for me? Others? Do I want to really invest the time into it and grow a following or just write about the events of my life as sort of a journal for me to look back on? I haven't decided on these things yet, so I've just been stalling writing. Regardless, though, even if this blog is only documenting events for ME to look back on, I still want to write about what's been going on, so here goes -

This past week was a pretty good one. We are winding down the weeks of student youth group and I am having bittersweet feelings about it. I have very much enjoyed this year with my middle school girls, and seeing how much our group has grown and evolved, and I know that I will miss the students over the summer. However, I do think I, and especially the husband, need to recharge and re-pour into ourselves and just get fired back up for the next school year. Hubs and I have been getting fed up with this fickle weather here in Ohio so we had a Winter Protest this past Wednesday with the students. Even though it actually snowed (can you believe that?!)  on Wednesday, we wore flip flops and sunglasses and made smoothies and milkshakes. We also played volleyball and limbo and were just trying to having a fun time with the students. Group was great as always, and something extra exciting happened on Sunday with one of our students, but I'll get to that in a bit.

Smoothie/milkshake table. Let me tell you - I was a smoothie making machine this night. I should start my own shop.

Some of the students protesting winter.

A little limbo action.

My mom, grandma and sister came up to visit this weekend and we had a great time as usual. They came up to do a somewhat belated birthday celebration. Mom brought my birthday basket, which is a tradition she started for my family a while back and it is my favorite thing. Basically, my mom just buys your favorite foods and little snacks and treats and other goodies and fill up a laundry basket full of those things when it's your birthday. I LOVE IT! This year, there was an extra special goodie tucked inside my birthday basket - a Pandora bracelet! Ahh. I was so excited. I had mentioned to my mom a while back that I would like to have one and she remembered! I LOVE IT!

My birthday basket. The Nutella and the Cheezits were already consumed before this picture was taken.  I CANNOT resist Nutella.

Anyways, we had a great time as always. We went to the outlets and did a little shopping, and then we went over to my in-laws and watched UK lose a terrible, terrible game. My heart still hurts thinking about how bad that game was.

Okay, I know that this post is now getting a little long - in fact, it has taken me three days to even write this daggone thing...but keep reading! This is the best part! - So, on Sunday, we got to witness a very special thing. One of our students has been coming to youth group for a few months now and she has really been asking questions and just trying to learn and embrace this idea of Jesus. Well, she finally gave Him her heart on Sunday and got baptized. It is such a cool thing to have been able to walk with her and help her sort through her faith and really make it her own. I feel so blessed that maybe God used me even a fraction of an ounce in this girl's life. Days like Sunday really help remind me why Josh and I do what we do!

That water is cold! Like, freezing freezing take-your-breath-away cold. That helps guarantee that it will be an experience they will never forget! :)

One more thing, I promise this is it - After the baptism we rushed on down to the Great American Ball Park and got to enjoy a beautiful, perfect day watching the Reds sweep the Brewers. We also sat in all-you-can-eat seats, which was a dream come true for the boys but not so much for me, as I felt obligated to get my money's worth of ballpark hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn, chips and soda, OH MY. It really was a perfect day with friends. :)

The hubs and I enjoying a beautiful sunny day. I actually got a little sunburnt - which is such a beautiful thing! I forgot how much I miss the sun on my face. Ahh, welcome spring.

My dear friend Aubre and I.

The boys with some of their ballpark treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment