Sunday, March 6, 2011

Craftiness, part 2

Well, this past weekend I had another hankering to embrace my inner craftiness. I knew I wanted to do some sort of craft, but I was scratching my head trying to think of exactly what I should do. Then, I remembered seeing instructions for how to make a yarn wreath that I thought looked cute and easy, and I decided to give it a try, so I hopped in my car and headed to where else?...HOBBY LOBBY! :) Can I just add that I absolutely love and could spend hours upon hours in HL? I almost get a little anxious when I walk into HL because there is so much that I want to see and buy that I'm afraid I might miss something. It's a little sad, actually, but I really do get excited to wander the aisles of HL, so it definitely helps when I have a specific purpose in mind.

Let me insert here that there are probably a million better instructions out there than mine below, so you may want to Google directions if you are interested in making your own yarn wreath; however, I'll detail the steps that I went through.

 So, here's what I bought to make my yarn wreath:

  • yarn (obviously!)
  • a straw wreath
  • different colors of felt


Basically, all I did was wrap the yarn around the wreath. This takes a while to get the hang of, but after a while you'll get the hang of it and really get rolling along with it. That being said, it did take probably 3+ hours to wrap the entire wreath, but I did most of it while watching a movie, so it wasn't too bad. Also, the yarn is definitely not wrapped perfectly, but that gives it character, right? At least that's what I keep telling myself. :)


I just have to share this picture of Roscoe, who was very interested in helping me...particularly when it involved the yarn! He's so cute, I could just eat him up!...although I do distinctly remember saying quite the opposite when this was actually happening, and he wouldn't stop attacking my wreath! Oh well, kids will be kids. :)


To make the flowers, cut a circle out of felt. Be sure to make the edges somewhat wavy. Then, basically cut a spiral, leaving the end to be a circle.


Wrap the felt strip around itself to make your rosette.


Keep wrapping until you get to the end, and then hot glue the circle at the end onto the wrapped flower.


Ta-da! Flowers! I also added a few beads to the center of a couple of the flowers for a little added decoration.



Hang your wreath on your front door for all to see!






I should also add that I sprayed my wreath with a suede shoe protector . Not really sure if that serves any purpose or is going to help anything, but I thought it might help with how the wreath handles the weather, even though it is under our front porch awning.

All-in-all, I'm pretty pleased with how my yarn wreath turned out! I'd like to make another one with the teal yarn that I bought, but that will have to wait for another rainy, dreary weekend! :)

1 comment:

  1. so cute....and believe me, i feel the exact way you do about hobby lobby...it's dangerous!

    ReplyDelete